Thursday, April 26, 2012

We Take the Many Aspects of Communication for Granted!

Part 1- No form of language
 This part of the experiment was extremely difficult. What I had told my friend, who played the role of the partner able to use language, that we would have a discussion in which I couldn't use language. He looked at me odd and asked how it was even possible, I simply replied, just try. He began talking about things that required more of a response than a simple nod yes or no, and realized I was unable to communicate a solid answer. It was interesting watching him move towards conversation in which had a yes or no answer. I was able to sometimes emphasize more of an opinion through body language, such as a shrug or a thumbs up. He had said my eyebrows voiced my opinions better than anything else. This led me to believe that in comparison with two cultures meeting for the first time, and this is completely opinion based, that the culture with a more developed language, will take initiative in conversation and interaction. I imagine this is how some culture came to even absorb or conquer other cultures. By having better means of communication, it seems to support the idea of having others adapt to you. Through the use of symbolic language, it isn't impossible to communicate, but surely much more difficult.

Part 2- Monotone Like a Robot
I was pretty dumbfounded as to the results of this experiment. Of course the use of hand gestures, body language and voice play a major role in communication, but I felt almost as useless as I did in part one. The conversation with my partner led towards the the topic of the NBA playoffs, a topic he knows I am ecstatic about. He asked me many opinion based questions, and while I could answer using words, it seemed I had an empty opinion due to the fact there was no enthusiasm or disagreement in the way the message was sent. He asked me if I like the Los Angeles Lakers, I replied with a very monotone yes. He then asked if I liked the Chicago Bulls, again a monotone yes was my reply. After failing to last 15 minutes with such a lacking conversation due to my inability to express enthusiasm, he asked which team I liked more. Being able to voice my opinion through language, body language, and volume it was crystal clear the Lakers were my favorite. It was fascinating how difficult it was  communicating using voice and no expression. What this did to my partner was confuse him as to what I truly believed. In part one, he resorted to yes or no questions, while in part two he would often ask the same question twice to receive a better understanding. This says a lot about the signs we use when communicating, watch a news anchor for five minutes and this is clear. Some people have a difficult time reading body language. Those who lack social skills and can't figure out how to take a conversation, or continue talking about a topic of no interest to their yawning partner. Being able to recognize body language makes communication much easier, as you can see when someone is becoming aggressive, bored, enthusiastic etc. I have an extremely difficult time pointing out a situation in which the inability to read body language is beneficial. Unfortunately the best circumstance I can pinpoint is the discussion of a very serious topic for debate. I think in may situations these debates become heated and drive away from the task at hand due to recognizing opponents body language and reacting negatively. Perhaps, the inability to recognize body language would allow for both sides to focus completely on the task at hand, rather than the level of annoyance or disagreement from their opponent.

Part 3- Importance of Writing
Had I been able to use written language in part one of this experiment, the conversation would have gone a whole lot longer. Being able to use body language and then write a true response to my partner would ease the situation greatly. I would have been able to answer questions much more adequately and ask him questions in response. What I find important about written language is the reference we are able to gain from it. We are able to look back on a message that was written much easier than we are able to recall what someone might have said, but we're not sure of. On a global scale, written language is key. We are able to communicate through mail, or over the internet with billions of people. Something I find beneficial about writing is the official seal of what has been written. For example, a law, it is definite, and later signed to show that what has been written is true and enforced. Written language makes what is said permanent, and a reference at any time.

2 comments:

  1. "I imagine this is how some culture came to even absorb or conquer other cultures."

    Great comment! I think you are probably right. Imagine which population would be able to plan and organize and coordinate complex ideas easier. Non-spoken language is too limited while the sky is the limit on spoken language.

    So your partner can't believe what you say unless it is confirmed by body language? Very interesting. It is like you are communicating in two layers and both must be in agreement to be believed. I think this may be because humans are adapted to detect liars in interactions. Without your body language, he couldn't tell if you were being truthful or not.

    Good final discussion on written language. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your point of pointing out that the written word is easy to reference. I wholeheartedly agree with you in that it's easier and more accurate to look back on a message rather than try to remember the conversation. I would go so far as to say that the written word is the most accurate form of communication, because it cannot be changed by human means. Memory is a tricky thing, and people can trick themselves into remembering a conversation a certain way. Memory is not an acceptable true source, while something that is written down is. You can't change the words on a paper, the best you can do is try to interpret their meanings in a different way. Overall, great post and a good read.

    ReplyDelete